Date of last revision: October 11, 2011
- Your Privacy Rights
- The Information We Collect and How We Collect It
- Linden Lab's Protection and Disclosure of Your Information
- Information Displayed to or Collected By Other Users
- Third Party Advertisements
- Disclosing Personal Information in Profiles, Forums or within Second Life
- Amendment of This Policy
Your Privacy Rights
If at any time you wish to opt out of receiving emails from Linden Lab containing newsletters, promotions, new features and benefit announcements, recommendations for locations and events, or special offers that target your interests in Second Life you may unsubscribe here: http://lindenmktg.p0.com/resubscribe.jsp.
You may also unsubscribe by postal mail, please address your request to:
ATTN: Opt-Out Administrator
945 Battery Street
San Francisco, CA 94111
Please indicate what publications or services you no longer wish to receive so that we may better address your needs.
The Information We Collect and How We Collect It
We collect a range of personal information and usage statistics to maintain a high-quality user experience and deliver superior customer service. We request some information directly from you during registration. We gather other pieces of data indirectly from Website traffic, your computer hardware and Internet connection, or your Second Life activities, communications and usage.
There are thus different levels of information we collect, depending upon your relationship to Linden Lab and how you use the Service:
- Website Visitor: If you use our Websites, we automatically record information related to your IP address, Linden Lab cookie information, and aggregate information on what content you access or visit.
- Mailing List Member: If you provide us personal information in order to subscribe to our mailing list, we collect information to aid delivery and preferences such as e-mail address and message performance statistics.
- Registered Website Member: If you register on any of our Websites, we will track broad site usage information as well as aggregate usage of any Website community features such as downloads and forums.
- Second Life User: If you install or use Second Life software, we collect and aggregate a variety of data to monitor system and simulation performance, and to verify your unique identity. This includes specific and general information about your computer hardware and Internet connection, which are stored together but are not personally identifiable. We track usage of customer service resources in order to ensure high quality interactions.
- In-World Conduct: We may collect and retain any other information relating to your account data or in-world activities including chat or IM logs, IP address and logs, places visited in Second Life, and other users or parties to whom you transfer Linden dollars or other objects.
- LindeX Transactions: If you conduct transactions on the LindeX, we may collect and retain some or all of the information related to these transactions, including amounts of transactions, parties involved, time and manner of exchange and cash-out, and other circumstances of the transactions.
- Additionally there are a few special situations to note:
- Intellectual Property Claim Notices: If you notify us of an intellectual property claim, the information in your claim notice may be shared with other parties to the disagreement or third parties in our discretion and as required by law. We believe that sharing intellectual property claim information with other parties helps resolve the disagreement in many cases. For more information, see our Intellectual Property Policy.
- Service Beta User: If you volunteer to serve as a beta user for pre-commercial content, we will track bug reports and potentially individual system performance in an effort to rigorously test technology before it is deployed.
- Former Customer: If you cease being a customer of ours, we will keep a copy of your registration file in our database for use in the event you wish to rejoin Second Life, and for anti-fraud and other purposes.
- Response to Job Postings or Unsolicited Communications: Please note that information we receive in reference to a job posting or via unsolicited communications does not fall under the privacy terms outlined in this policy; however, information from your resume will be used solely for the purposes of evaluating your candidacy for employment.
- Individuals Outside of the United States: Anyone using Second Life or the Linden Lab Websites from outside of the United States should be aware that personal information collected on these Websites may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which Linden Lab or its affiliates, subsidiaries or agents maintain facilities, and by using the Service, you consent to any such transfer of information outside of your country.
- We May Communicate With or Email You: You agree that Linden Lab (including through its agents) may communicate with you via email and any similar technology for any purpose relating to the Service, the Linden Software and any services or software which may in the future be provided by Linden Lab or on Linden Lab's behalf.
Linden Lab's Protection and Disclosure of Your Information
Except under certain limited circumstances set forth here and in our Terms of Service ("Terms of Service"), Linden Lab does not disclose to third parties the personal information or other account-related information you provide us, such as IP address, without your permission. You understand, however, that Linden Lab may disclose your personal or other account-related information under the following circumstances:
- If we believe in good faith that such disclosure is necessary under applicable law, or to comply with legal process served on Linden Lab;
- In order to protect and defend the rights or interests of Linden Lab, Second Life or the users of Second Life;
- In order to report to law enforcement authorities, or assist in their investigation of, suspected illegal or wrongful activity, or to report any instance in which we believe a person may be in danger;
- To service providers with whom we have contracted to assist us with Second Life features or operations (such as anti-fraud functions, billing, collections, registration, customer support, email delivery, age verification or LindeX operations), to fulfill your service requests, offer new content or help us improve our Service. Our contracts with these third parties prohibit them from using any of your personal information for purposes unrelated to the product or service they are providing;
- To other third parties (a) to provide you with services you have requested, (b) to offer you information about our Service (e.g., events or features), or (c) to whom you explicitly ask us to send your information (or about whom you are otherwise explicitly notified and consent to when using a specific service). For instance, we may provide certain information to our payment processor, to credit card associations, banks or issuers (if you are using a credit card), to PayPal (if you are using a PayPal account), or to providers of other services you request. If you choose to use these third parties' products or services, then their use of your information is governed by their privacy policies. You should evaluate the practices of third party providers before deciding to use their services; and
Information Displayed to or Collected By Other Users
Certain account information is displayed to other users in your Second Life profile, and may be available through automated script calls and application program interfaces. This information includes your account name, account type, the date your account was established, whether or not you are currently online, user rating information, group and partner information, and whether or not you have established a payment account or transaction history with Linden Lab. Further, you agree and understand that Linden Lab does not control and is not responsible for information, privacy or security practices concerning data that you provide to, or that may otherwise be collected by, Second Life users other than Linden Lab. For instance, some services operated by Second Life users may provide content that is accessed through and located on third party (non-Linden Lab) servers that may log IP addresses.
A cookie is a small string of data which often includes an anonymous unique identifier sent to your browser from a website's computers, and stored on your computer's hard drive. Each website can send its own cookie to your browser if your browser's preferences allow it, but (to protect your privacy) your browser only permits a website to access the cookies it has already sent to you, not the cookies sent to you by other sites.
You can configure your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, or notify you when a cookie is set. (Each browser is different, so check the "Help" menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences.) However, if you reject all cookies, you may not be able to use certain of our (or other companies') web pages.
- Access your account information when you "log in" to our Websites, forums, or other areas;
- Keep track of your Website session data, including orders from our Land Store and the LindeX exchange; and
- Keep track of certain information that is then aggregated (i.e., not connected to your personal information), such as how you use our Websites, what web pages you visit, and the frequency and length of those visits.
Third Party Advertisements
Disclosing Personal Information in Profiles, Forums or within Second Life
You may choose to disclose personal information in our online forums, via your Second Life profile, directly to other users in chat or otherwise while using Second Life. Please be aware that such information is public information and you should not expect privacy or confidentiality of this information.
Amendment of this Policy