The Second Life® Brand Center
License for Press Use of the Second Life Eye-in-Hand Logo
Journalists and media outlets may use the Second Life Eye-in-Hand logo (the "Second Life Hand Logo" or "Logo") in published articles, blog entries, and news programs specifically about the Second Life® virtual world subject to the following:
- Guidelines for Press Use of the Second Life Hand Logo
- Terms and Conditions for Press Use of the Second Life Hand Logo
- Instructions for Obtaining the Second Life Hand Logo
Approved Use. The Second Life Hand Logo may be used only by journalists or media outlets in or immediately adjacent to a published article, blog entry, or news program specifically about the Second Life world. No other use is allowed without Linden Lab's written permission.
Never use a Second Life Hand Logo (or any part or version of one):
- in any name or logo of a business, news program, or publication, including any website or blog;
- in a header or banner of a website or blog;
- in the title of an article, blog entry or news program;
- without displaying the name and any logo of your business, news program, or publication in the signature position (usually the top of the material indicating clear ownership of the communication);
- in any manner that suggests co-branding or a relationship with Linden Lab; or
- in any manner that tarnishes the Second Life brand name or the Logo.
Do not make a Second Life Hand Logo a primary or prominent feature of your article, blog entry, or news program. The Logo must be smaller and subordinate to your own business name, logo, and any other branding.
Always display the Logo right-side up with the words "Second Life" in a horizontal position.
Never use more than one Second Life Hand Logo in an article, blog entry, or news program.
Never use the Logo in text to represent the words "Second Life."
Form, Size, and Color.
a) Print Media.
For print media, please send an email to email@example.com to obtain a copy of our high resolution logo.
Do not make any changes to the Logo artwork except proportional resizing. Make the Logo a minimum width of .75 inch.
Use the Logo only on a solid white background. The solid black Logo may be used only for black-and-white printing.
b) Digital Media.
For digital media, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain a copy of our high resolution logo.
Do not make any changes to the Logo files whatsoever.
Do not animate, morph, distort, or otherwise change the Logo in size, color, proportion, or appearance.
Do not alter the white background and clear space in the Logo files.
- Clear Space. Use a minimum clear space (or space with nothing but the white background) of at least one-quarter (1/4) the width of the Second Life Hand Logo around the entire Logo.
- Notice. Use a legible and reasonably prominent trademark notice in the following format: "Second Life and the Second Life Eye-in-Hand logo are trademarks of Linden Research, Inc." Include it where notices are usually included, for example, a footnote on the first page of an article, the footer or last line of a blog entry, an attribution section, or a credits page.
Download this PDF for a graphical illustration of some of the guidelines above.
Terms and Conditions for Press Use of the Second Life Hand Logo
- The License. Subject to the following terms and conditions, Linden Research, Inc. ("Linden Lab") grants journalists and media outlets a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, royalty-free, fully paid-up, worldwide license to use the Second Life Hand Logo in or immediately adjacent to a published article, blog entry, or news program specifically about the Second Life world (the "License"). Linden Lab shall have sole discretion to determine whether you are a journalist or media outlet. This License is limited to the Logo obtained through our Public Relations desk by emailing email@example.com.
- Use Guidelines. Your use of the Logo must be in strict compliance with the above Guidelines for Press Use of the Second Life Hand Logo, which may be amended from time to time. Your use of any other logo, brand name, or trademark of Linden Lab must be in compliance with the Guidelines for Using Linden Lab’s Trademarks, found at http://secondlife.com/corporate/brand/trademark, which also may be amended from time to time.
- Review and Approval. Linden Lab shall have the right to review and approve your use of the Logo at any time. If at any time your use does not conform to the terms and conditions of this License in Linden Lab's sole opinion, Linden Lab may request that you modify or terminate your use, and you agree to comply with Linden Lab's request within three (3) days after it was made.
- Rights and Ownership. Linden Lab shall remain the exclusive owner of the Logo. Your use of the Logo shall inure exclusively to the benefit of Linden Lab. You shall not do anything to compromise Linden Lab's rights in and to the Logo or any other trademark of Linden Lab, such as by filing a trademark application for the brand name "Second Life," for the Logo or any part of it, or for any confusingly similar mark anywhere in the world, now or in the future.
- No Warranties. The Logo is provided to you "as is," and you are solely responsible for your use of it. Linden Lab disclaims all warranties, express or implied, regarding the Logo, including but not limited to warranties of title and of non-infringement of third-party rights. In no event shall Linden Lab be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential, punitive, or other damages arising from or related to this License, its termination, or your use of the Logo.
- Modification and Termination. Linden Lab shall have the right to modify or terminate your permission to use the Logo at any time for any reason, in its sole discretion, without prior notice and without liability or obligation to you of any kind. Linden Lab shall also have the right to take action against any use of the Logo that does not conform to the terms and conditions of this License, infringes any of Linden Lab's intellectual property or other rights, or otherwise violates applicable law.
- Promotional Use. You permit Linden Lab to feature on any of its websites, including http://secondlife.com and http://lindenlab.com, and to make other use for educational, outreach, marketing, or promotional purposes of any article, blog entry, or news program, in its entirety, that uses the Logo. Your permission is royalty-free, fully paid up, and worldwide.
- Choice of Law and Venue. This License shall be governed in all respects by the laws of the State of California without regard to conflict of law principles. You agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts located in the City and County of San Francisco, California to resolve any legal matter arising from this License. If a court of competent jurisdiction holds invalid any provision of this License, all remaining provisions of the License shall remain in full force and effect, and the invalid provision shall be changed and interpreted in order to best accomplish the original provision's objectives to the fullest extent allowed by law.
- Complete Agreement. This License, including all documents that it links to, is the entire agreement between you and Linden Lab concerning the Logo.
Obtaining a Logo. Members of the Press can obtain any Second Life Hand Logo by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. By obtaining the Second Life Hand Logo, you indicate that you accept the Guidelines and Terms and Conditions for Press Use of the Second Life Hand Logo (see above).
Press Inquiries. If you have questions about getting the Logo for press use, or any other press inquiries, please review the contact and other information available on our Press Room.